GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

SWIFTS (2)


Our street certainly has a nice resident population of Swifts, screaming around the sky every day. We live at the edge of a grid of old-housed streets, some of the houses being over 100 years old.


I took a trip to our local shop at dusk, yesterday evening, and discovered where at least one pair of our resident Swifts are nesting by chance! I heard a scream behind me, as I exited the shop, turned round quickly, looked up, and a Swift roared out of the (decrepid) eaves of the shop - literally a foot from my face!


Our local shop was built in 1886 (there's a plaque on the wall), and is "untidy" enough, to give Swifts space to nest under the gutters.


This is a REAL problem for Swifts in the UK. Swifts will only nest in buldings over 50 years old, or those newer builings which have been left Swift-friendly.


I'll try and get a photo of two, of the Swifts above our shop (literally 3 doors down the road). This may be more difficult than you think though. People don't take kindly to me pointing cameras or binoculars up towards the vicinity of their bedroom windows at 5am in the morning. Can't imagine why?!

"No... HONESTLY... I'm looking at your Swifts!" (yeah yeah)!

Story of my life!

No comments: