GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Sunday, May 20, 2007

BLUE (SHIELD)BUG

One of the insects that Anna kindly collected for me... I'm a lucky boy aren't I?Click on any photo to enlarge.

This is the unmistakeable "Blue Bug" - a wonderful blue-green metallic Shield Bug which feasts almost entirely on the very similarly coloured Flea Beetle. I actually found a Flea Beetle earlier in the day, in the "meadow", but was too knackered to hold the camera phone steady enough, to get a decent photo of that insect. (I'll take and upload a photo when I can).
I assume the blue colour of the predatory Blue Bug is an adaptation to fool? the Flea Beetle larvae, which sees the Shield Bug coming, but doesn't scarper, thinking that the Shield Bug is one of its own... BIG mistake!
The Blue Bug is not particularly common and a wonderful addition to "Blue-Grey"!

No comments: