GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Sunday, June 03, 2007

SCARLET TIGER MOTH (2)

I thought I'd give this most amazing moth another post, as in this hot, sunny weather, we're both seeing this moth in the garden every day now.
Just took some more photos of it sitting on our fence. It seems quite content!

From the upperside (as in the photos above, one can clearly see two parallel(ish) cream lines behind its head - a giveaway feature of the Scarlet Tiger Moth in comparison to the other UK Tiger Moth species, although lets face it... this moth is pretty unmistakeable!

My previous photo of it on the neighbours' rose bush is shown again below - showing the difference between the moth's bottle-green and cream front wings, and its scarlet and black rear wings...

NB. 06/06/07 - I've noted over the past 3 or 4 days or do, that these Scarlet Tiger Moths are EVERYWHERE! If I sit in the garden for an hour, I'll see 2 or 3 - no worries. There's a dead one stuck to the second floor window at the EA building, and I found one in the gutter of our road this morning, whilst walking to work...

In fact, it does seem that these are the ONLY moth species I'm seeing at the moment. If I see a moth right now, its going to be a Scarlet Tiger Moth - must be much more common than I thought in the middle of England!

1 comment:

Henry Walloon said...

Beautiful photo's and a great site. It seems we're on somewhat similar mission to blog the natural history around us.

Pleased to meet a fellow Scarlet Tiger blogger!