GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Monday, June 04, 2007

BANDED DEMOISELLE

Firstly, let me apologise for the poor quality of the photos I'm about to post on "Blue-Grey".
All were taken in a real hurry, with no time at all to arse about.

Yesterday (as in the changed time and date of this post), I was hurrying to work at around 14:15 (I started my shift at 14:30), when I virtually walked by this fella under Reading Bridge (which spans the Thames next to the EA building).

This is a (male) "Banded Demoiselle". A very distinctive damselfly.

Some people adore its name, mmm.... I happen to think its a weeee bit poncey, but thats just my rather jaded opinion!
The fact is though, this is a stunning insect. A large damselfly - about as long as my 4th finger, and the male (as in my photo) is easy to recognise, as he has a metallic blue/green body and a very obvious dark blue patch in the outer half of his wings. (The female lacks this - she has greenish-yellow wings and a green body).

I was listening to some Whitesnake on my phone as I hurried past, saw the damselfly, and had to change to camera settings on my phone and take a very hurried shot in poor light, (under the bridge).
Anyway... you get the picture (Hur hur hur).

NB. There are 17 species of Damselfly living in the UK, and 2 have become extinct in the latter half of the twentieth century.
Remember - Dragonflies hold their wings perpendicular to their body at rest, Damselflies hold their wings above and along (parallel to) their body.

No comments: