GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

MIRID BUG (3)

Got home from work about an hour ago- still no photos of any hedgehogs I'm afraid! I thought I'd make do with a little safar around the lower paddock to see what I could see.

I'm glad I did! Not only did I manage to photograph a nice Green Shieldbug nymph (which I've posted on my post on Green Shielbugs (April 17th 2007)-HERE, I saw a few other little insects which I'll briefly post on here (and above).



The first of these is another species of Mirid - this one being (I think), the Lucerne Bug. Look for the very distinctive pale cuneus (V shaped), 2 dark pronotal spots (not visible here) and if you have the eyes of a hawk, very spiny tibia! It is relatively common, even in gardens, and tends to feed mainly on Lucerne (obviously) and Clover (of which the Lower Paddock has masses...).








NB. I suppose there is a possibility that this Mirid could be Calocoris roseomaculatus (no common name) which looks very similar to the Lucerne Bug, but with rosy markings on its wings. I may get corrected by a real entomology expert on this...

NB. 25/10/07 After a month or so of casual research, it turns out this could be the Tarnished Plant Bug, Hippodamia variegata. Very confusing, these Mirid Bugs!

No comments: