GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"SHOEFITI"



Yes.
You read that right.

SHOE + GRAFFITI = SHOEFITI.

Use your eyes and you'll see more and more examples of this er... trend?

The phenomenon of a pair of shoes (almost always trainers) tied together and thrown over a power cable or telephone line.
I photographed this "Shoefiti" near the end of the road.

Daily Mail readers will have you believe that this is the work of drug dealers marking their territory. Paper cups stuck on metal railing posts is meant to be the work of crack cocaine dealers, also.
Uh huh?

I have more than a sneaky suspicion this is just another urban myth.

It is well known that members of the armed forces (especially U.S. armed forces) throw their boots over cables at the end of terms of service.
As do some college graduates.
As do some stag night members.
As do some ker-azeee school kids, often picking on someone that stands out from the crowd, or as an act of macho bravado -

" Witness how I can launch my trainers right over those wires!"
"Oh."
"Oh my. That was not the outcome I was expecting".

You'll be told by many, with a earnest look etched across their features that no, "Shoefiti" really does mean a drug dealer or gang is staking claim to its territory.
Whatever you want to believe I guess.


Me?
I just quite like seeing Shoefiti.
I find it quite amusing, and that is the only reason why the photograph has made it onto BG.
Like I mentioned, I photographed these trainers this morning, at the end of our road, near one of our favourite seedy pubs.
Well. At least I know where to get my crack now.... (sigh).


3 comments:

Jane Adams said...

Shoefiti - like it!

What I want to know is where all the single shoes at the side of the road come from. Thrown from a car? fallen out of a car? Are there people travelling the country lanes throwing just one shoe out the window? If you were to collect them all up, would you ever find a pair? I want to know...

Maybe it's the trainee drug dealers, practising for when they graduate to two shoes!

The Black Rabbit said...

Heheh!
I know what you mean Jane.

Remember the good old days of the internal workings of cassettes on roadside verges.
A tangle of brown, shiny tape pulled for yards and yards along a road often, and caught in a bush.

Doesn't work with in car CDs though, eh?

Jane Adams said...

Funny you should say that, I saw a load of cassette tape by the road the other day... and thought "who the hell still uses tape?" or were they driving along the road and suddenly thought "I know, I'll chuck this out the window". Weird!