GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

CONVOLVULUS HAWKMOTH


We saw a few of these beautiful moths during the fortnight - mainly as the sun started to dip below the horizon. I thought they were Hummingbird Hawkmoths, they are certainly related - and DO resemble Hummingbirds as they hover in front of a flower, and use their long proboscis to obtain its nectar.

I am led to believe that these Hummingbirds do sometimes appear in Britain, but they are more widespread over the continent, especially the south of Europe, having migrated from Africa, where they overwinter. Lovely to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are having an exceptionally hot end of summer here in Hungary, with unusual hot winds, most likely from Afrika.
This morning I found a huge moth amongst some drying laundry, on our terrace, and I wonder if it's not a hawkmoth, flown here from Afrika, with the hot winds.
It has a 6,7cm wingspan, and about 3cm body, and beautifully camouflaged to look like tree bark.
I noticed lots of hawkmoths also in Dalmatia in the summer, and I think they were the same type. I will try to download a photo.....
Jutka Fischer,
Budapest