GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"THE GHERKIN"


Whilst I'm on the subject of all things London, a note about "The Gherkin", (photo not mine).

Like most contemporary designs / artwork, this is loved and hated in equal measures it would seem.
My sister and I were discussing it, from a pub on the South Bank. She loves it, and I absolutely agree. Its fantastic!

It was designed by Foster and partners (who also put up "The Millenium Bridge", well, they can't win every time I suppose), and completed in 2004. I think it was sold early this year for £600m, but its main tenants are still "Swiss Re".

I wish more buildings in our cities were like this - contemporary design at its very, very best.
I also like the way the droll British public have nicknamed, what is formally "30 St.Mary's Axe", and informally "The Swiss Re Tower", after something so humble.
"The Gherkin".

Good stuff.

No comments: