GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Sunday, July 08, 2007

CESSNA 172 SKYHAWK

It was my pleasure to buy Anna a flying lesson for her 30th birthday some time ago. (Actually, it was an experience I bought - she chose the flying lesson).
So, we toddled off to Booker Airfield (just south of Wycombe), and up Anna went, at the controls of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk light aircraft.
She was flying for approximately 30 minutes, in quite beautiful weather - we were VERY lucky on that count!
On returning (smoothly!) to ground, she told me how she could see Canary Wharf from above Wycombe, Wembley's new arch, and the fact that she (and her instructor of course) had flown over the Henley Regatta and to Reading - and she'd flown right over the recreation ground behind our house - also ACTUALLY spotting our house!
It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that she enjoyed the experience thoroughly!
I took a few photos and I'll post them individually here (in the hope one can double click on them to enlarge them...).

The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is probably the world's most popular training light aircraft.
Originally produced in 1956, it is STILL being manufactured today.
I guess the most famous flights made in the Skyhawk were the rather ballsy landing of one in Red Square, in 1987, by a German teenager name of Matthias Rust, who flew through Soviet airspace from Helsinki, and avoided being shot down! Also, the 'copycat 9/11 flight' in 2002, when an American High School student flew a hired 172 Skyhawk into the side of the Bank of America building in downtown Tampa, Florida - causing a bit of damage to the building, killing himself, but doing no worse than that really. I prefer the Red Square effort myself!

No comments: