GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Sunday, March 09, 2008

THOUGHTS OF SPRING...

I hear that we are due a bit of a storm tomorrow with gale-force winds and driving rain.

I'll make this quick then.

Just over the last couple of days, I've noticed far more insect life out and about in the garden.

Queen Bumblebees (of a few species I'm sure) are always flying around the garden like big bomber planes, (I nearly got a shot of one today), as are the Common Carder Bees (always early to rise in the year, and late to disappear).

I saw my first Mirid Bug of the year today, and the first two species of Hoverfly. One was a "Marmalade Hoverfly" (I've posted on this species before), but I wasn't quick enough to identify the second.

I've noted some aphids (Greenfly to be precise) on the Daffodils in the front lawn, and Wolf spiders in long grass on my walks.

Finally - I've seen two Harlequin Ladybirds in the past few days - one in the garden (see above). So now we have loads of Pine Ladybirds out and about (I saw dozens on lichen on an Oak tree t'other day), and the evil intruder also...

I'm a little concerned about our Blue Tits once more. I know both are alive. I see them about a bit - but they really seem to have lost interest in the nestbox. We'll just have to wait and see on that score...

The female Woodpecker is visiting the feeding post quite often these days, and the rat has yet to walk into our live capture trap - though our neghbours have caught a baby rat in a similar device - (I'm a bit jealous to be honest)!

Click HERE to see the full size versions of a few pictures I took today (of a Harlequin Ladybird and a Dunnock) and explanatory text to go with them in my "New Warren" online photo album...



No comments: