GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

BRENT GOOSE (DARK BELLIED)


The Brent Goose exists in four different subspecies - all down to belly and flank colour really.
They look like a much smaller Canada Goose, with far less white on their face - more of a dog collar really.

The first time Anna and I went for a weekend in the New Forest, 2 years ago, we walked down the beach at Christchurch one morning, in foul weather, and I saw a Brent Goose flying hard along the beach, west to east. I was quite pleased as I hadn't seen one before.
I knew they bred in Arctic Russia and over wintered here, on our coasts, but I had no idea where!

Well, the Dark Bellied Brent Goose over winters on the Beaulieu estuary (Lymington) as well as a few places on the east coast.
That ties in nicely with what I saw 2 years ago!

We saw hundreds of Dark-Bellied Brent Geese in the marshes - and I guess (unless we travel to Norfolk for a holiday - NOT likely in my opinion) we'll not see them anywhere else...

No comments: