GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ANGLE SHADES MOTH CATERPILLAR.



I spotted this green caterpillar on a Lily? leaf in the paddock this morning.


Its not the best photo, and there are billions of species of green caterpillars in the UK, but I think this is the Angle Shades Moth caterpillar. (If it isn't - the people of WAB are on it at the moment, I'll change the title and text of this post as and when).




Size:2-3cm (very lively and stretchy)


Obvious features: pale cream line running down each side of larva, head to tail. (not obvious in this photo).


Broken thin white line running dow top of caterpillar.


Very faint oblique darker green patches at top of caterpillar.




The entomologists on WAB I'm sure will come up with an identification today (or a confirmation of my ID) and if they do, I'll ask permission from a member , to post a photo of the adult Angle Shades Moth, which is quite unique in markings, to pop on this post. (or the moth it is finally identified as).

x
x



NB. A day later, and no-one from WAB has confirmed my identification, very unusual for the "WABers", though I'm not particularly surprised as this is quite a poor photo of a green caterpillar, and I was easily the best person to identify it, as I had it in front of me.

I'm pretty sure it IS an Angle Shades Moth caterpillar. These wonderful moths when at rest (as an adult) rely on superb camouflage for defence against predators.

They look exactly like a dead, semi-curled up leaf. (see photo - courtesy and copyright of Endomart).

Angle Shades Moths have 2 broods a year, the last one being as late as October - that tallies up nicely with my ID.
A new moth species for the garden then, and a new moth for "Blue-Grey".
Good stuff.

No comments: