GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Saturday, April 14, 2007

MALLARD DUCK AND TWENTY DUCKINGS

It's my birthday and I'm at work. Humph!
Still, it's a beautiful day and I've just returned to the office after a little stroll along the Thames.
What did I notice was a Mallard Duck (female) with a flotilla of TWENTY ducklings! I've never seen so many ducklings with one duck! I'll get on the web when I get a chance, to see if Mallard Ducks form "creches" like some other waterfowl, notably geese. If this isn't the case, that poor duck laid at least TWENTY EGGS!

These ducklings cannot have been more than 2 or 3 days old, and all swam towards me at top speed, virtually coming out of the water in their haste! I, unfortunately did not have any wholemeal (or any) bread to feed them with - maybe we'll take a loaf out with us this afternoon!

NB. 04/05/07 : A photo of mine, taken a couple of weeks after seeing my twenty ducklings. I think these are the same birds, and only FIVE are left. Sad. Click on photo to enlarge.

No comments: