GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Friday, April 06, 2007

COMMA AND PEACOCK BUTTERFLIES


I've just been sitting out in the garden again, soaking up this wonderful spring weather and looking at all the beasties suddenly coming into life.
Its a pity I've got no film left in the camera, as a lovely "Comma" butterfly landed right next to me on our fence, (photo (not mine) above).
Superficially these butterflies look like a type of Fritillary Butterfly, but their ragged wing edges (I think they all look like they've been nibbled by a bird), and the white comma shaped mark on their underside (hence their name) are very distinctive. I noticed today in the sunlight, a green shimmer to their furry thorax also.
Very nice to see, and if I get to corner off a 6' square bit of back lawn for my wild meadow experiment, I hope to see
a few more interesting butterflies, moths and other insects during the summer...
I'm a HUGE fan of moths and cannot wait to build a moth trap in july!




We also noticed a striking "Peacock Butterfly" warming itself on the ground during our trip to The Hawk Conservancy Trust. One of most striking and most recognisable butterflies, it is pictured below...

No comments: