GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

BLUE TITS (8) AND FEMALE SPARROWHAWK

I have just returned from work (an early shift). It is a glorious day, so decided to see what was occurring in the garden.
The nest box is now getting the full 'force' of the afternoon sun - even though it is facing north-westwards (ish), so it may get a bit warm come late spring/summer.
Midges are gathering on the wooden sides of the box also - not really ideal for nesting birds - but there you go. There is a growing pile of nesting material on the ground, under the box also, moss and dried grass at the moment.

I have erected a make-shift 'hide' very close to the box, by punching a hole through a disused fence panel, and leaning it against the fence proper. I hope to get closer views of the Tits through this hole, and photos also, but so far this afternoon,
I haven't seen the tits approach the box - though I have heard them calling - in fact I can hear one AS I'm typing this, with the window open.

What I HAVE seen a few minutes ago though, would strike fear into any Blue Tit's little heart...

Whilst outside, I suddenly heard a Pigeon's "CLAP". This sound is
produced by the Pigeon's wings clapping together, with force, above their heads, upon rapid take-off. I looked up and saw 2 Collared Doves and 1 Woodpigeon, all enter the air simultaneously, in a hurry. THIS IS ALMOST INVARIABLY A SIGN...

A sign of a predator - often a hawk. I leaped to my feet and scanned. Yes indeed, a lovely brown female Sparrowhawk shot by me over the garden, this time without a bird in its talons.

I have often been amazed how often this sort of thing happens to me, I think its just a case of being in tune with the "signs" and reacting quickly. I have seen a Sparrowhawk take a Blue Tit before, but not here... yet!


Our Tits have a warm box, midges, me and Anna AND a resident Sparrowhawk to contend with - and they haven't even laid eggs yet!

NB. As I finish this post, the male has just landed on the chopstick perch. So he's ok... for now....



[Photo (c)Arthur Grosset] (my view, pretty well exactly of our female hawk today).

No comments: