GIF animations generator gifup.com

MY FAVOURITE CARTOON AS A BOY..

Thursday, August 16, 2007

SWIFTS. GOODBYE UNTIL NEXT APRIL....

(posted in yellow again, to remember the summer?!!!)

It was clear that when we returned on Sunday, all our Swifts over Great Knollys street had deserted us for the sunnier, warmer climes of Africa for the winter.
Its always very sad this, maybe this year it was better for me that I did NOT see them leave in their flocks - I often do, and find it very depressing.
I'm sure there are still some in the country, probably Devon and Cornwall and along the south coast maybe, but they've certainly left Berkshire.

Luckily we DID see a small flock of Common Swifts (almost certainly migrating south, as we only saw Common Swifts ONCE, in this flock, and only for a few minutes) whilst on holiday.
I remarked to Anna at the time that I hoped that DIDN'T mean they were on the move, but it was pretty obvious they were...

So, its goodbye to my favourite bird of all, until very late April next year. I do hope they have a better summer with us next year than they did this.
Until they return, my mobile phone's ringtone will be changed to the "Swift scream"...

No comments: